Monday, February 11, 2008

Twin Powers?

Today I noticed I had lots of potatoes and some celery that needed to be eaten, so I figured I'd make a big potato salad for Jonny's lunches and whatnot. I didn't really feel like preparing it, but I decided it'd be best to be resourceful and use the produce before it spoiled. So I peeled/cut/boiled the potatoes, chopped the celery, poured in lots of peas (my favorite part), and continued on adding dressings and spices. After shaking in LOTS of paprika (my second favorite part) I mixed it up and took a bite. YIKES! With my mouth on fire, I checked the label on my "paprika" and found it was none other than the infamous cayenne pepper. (I've spoiled a few meals by adding to much of the stuff, but never in place of my beloved paprika! And unlike the graphics here, my bottles look nothing alike. I really had no excuse other than absentmindedness.) Anyway, here is the upside. I called Emily to vent my culinary woe and you'll never guess what she said. Well, first she laughed. Then she told about how she did the very same thing with her soup last week! Cayenne for paprika! Ha! This may be a common mistake in the kitchen, but neither of us had done it until now.
Do twin powers exist? You decide.

4 comments:

Cami said...

That's awesome. I mean, sorry about your salad and all, but pretty cool twin powers.

Emily said...

luckily I didn't put as much as you though, or else our mouths would've really burned when the twin powers collided. But I'm glad you fixed it. There's nothing like having your mouth set for something and not getting it.

emilie s. d. p. said...

So funny! I'm glad you love your spices. Paprika is one of those spices I don't know how or when to use (except on the top of deviled eggs which doesn't count) so I'll have to go try it out in a potato salad...without the cayenne pepper.

Woods said...

How funny! I really hear stories about twins doing or thinking the same thing all the time. I actually was reading a blog the other day and something similar happened to her and her twin, same day, same time. CRAZY! I love the picture, it's by my old house. So many memories. Love You!