Friday, November 5, 2010

my new boyfriend:

Yesterday I finally got around to getting Gabe's hair cut. This was pretty significant because not only was it Gabey's first haircut, but the fist haircut for either of my children. So being a first for both of us, it was bittersweet. I was sad to see Gabe's little curls in the back go, but happily said goodbye to his fast approaching mullet.

I really want to cut Gabe's hair, but he is a crazy man. I decided to watch a professional do it first (paying way too much) and see just how uncooperative he would be. Much to my surprise, he sat very still and didn't fuss at all. It seems that all he needs is a movie, a sucker, and someone who can cut his hair to perfection in less than five minutes. So that is my goal - to tackle his next haircut. It will definitely take longer than five minutes and it will definitely be a challenge for me as I know next to nothing about hair cutting. (Once I cut Jonny's hair when we were dating. It took me so long, I was nervous the whole time, and Jonny just had to fix it up himself anyway. But cutting Jonny's hair is another goal of mine. We'll save that one for later though.) I know I can do it once I just take to time and opportunity to learn how. I'm not in a hurry though, so hopefully Gabe's hair takes its time growing!

Anyway, we can't get enough of our new little man around here. I knew he would look so much older without his baby hair. It is definitely the truth. I call this dashing stranger my boyfriend because he is certainly no longer my baby and is just too handsome to pass up kissing at every opportunity. I think I will go do that right now.

(As you can see, he didn't take his eyes off the Curious George movie the entire time. We will definitely be using that distraction come haircut time at our house.)

9 comments:

Savannah said...

omigoshthatkidissocute! Literally took the breath right out of me! what a little heartbreaker!

Lindsey Bench said...

He looks so handsome! And you are right, i think it aged him like 5 years. Is he starting Kindergarten next fall? Let me know when you manage the kiddie cuts so that i too can stop paying outrageous amounts.

Kassi said...

WOW he does look older and so cute. I would be happy to call him my boyfriend! Mel, just get the attachments with razors, it will look great!(If you are serious you will get a better cut out of professional ones like from Sally's. We paid 73 or so for ours but it gets a lot closer than the ones you can buy from walmart. Which will give you a better more professional look.) I cut Curtis' hair and he thinks it looks better than some--notice I said some--professional haircuts he had. If I can do it anyone can. I am the most un-gifted person when it comes to using my hands. I can't wait to see the first hair-cut! You will do great Mel!

Anonymous said...

What a handsome boy!

Jill said...

Holy cow, I can't believe how much older that made him look!

And Savannah is right...that kiddo is TOTALLY going to be a heartbreaker.

Oh, and if you don't want to pay 20 bucks for a hair cut and want it done SUPER fast, take him to Deans Style Shop. It's a tiny barber shop on State street just past the fruit/veggie stand. Mary, the lady there cuts hair lightening fast...like less than five minutes, and she charges 9 bucks.

Don't be fooled by her rad mullet and 90's wardrobe, that lady rocks!!

OR, Costco has the WAHL brand razor with attachments for $30That's what I use for my boys. I had bought one at walmart (which ended in Jacks Benjamin button haircut) and it was total garbage, so head to costco and fork over the 30!

Emily said...

I might die of how cute he is. I can't believe how cutting off a few wisps of hair can turn him from baby to big boy. I wish I could give him some kisses of my own.

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! He is getting so big! and he looks so much older with his hair cut! so handsome!

Summer said...

It looks great! I can see the bittersweetness of it all.

Cami said...

Very cute boy. Seriously, he's looking too big with that haircut. I cry every time I give my kids one and go around saying, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY SON? WHERE IS HE?" and they think that is hilarious.

I never took my kids to a place because I didn't want to make people listen to the screaming. NOW, they do ok with a movie, but they won't let me use the buzzer so it takes FOREVER! ANYway, I'll give you a lesson on cutting hair in the only way I know how if you want. (I do use the buzzer for Jake's hair!)

Did you save some hair?