Monday, June 2, 2008

"My Toddler This Week"

When I was pregnant, we signed up to get the weekly emails from BabyCenter. They provide developmental information, tips, and other interesting facts specific to the exact age of your baby. I am so used to seeing the subject "My Baby This Week" in my inbox. But today I was slightly thrown off when instead I saw an email titled "My Toddler This Week." Yes, as of yesterday Julia is one year old. But is she really no longer my tiny baby!? I was thinking about this last night as I held and rocked her. She is a big girl. But toddler or not, she is still our Baby Ju-Ju.

Despite Julia's lack of smiles and laughter (she has been sick this week), I think she really did enjoy her first birthday party. We decorated the house a little while she slept in the afternoon. When I tried to nurse her after her nap she would hardly have it! She was reaching for the balloons, streamers, etc. When it came time for the traditional solo-cake-eating event, I wasn't sure she'd get into it much (she hasn't had an appetite all week, besides for nursing). She was a dainty little lady at first, picking here and there. But soon she realized it was delicious and it was all hers. See the slide show for more than enough pictures of the cake-covered Julia.

While Julia ate her cake, we adults had the ice cream cake Jonny and I made. In Jonny's family, they have a traditional Baskin Robins or Dairy Queen ice cream cake on all birthdays. I LOVE this idea, but those cakes can be extremely pricey. Although ours wasn't quite as fancy as the store-bought version, I believe it was just as delicious. I think we will carry on with this tradition, now that it is more affordable.

We also enjoyed Mom's yummy cookies, Matt's famous cinnamon rolls, and a BBQ besides! Thanks for coming, everyone. We love having you over - please know you are welcome anytime. And thanks for all the fun and colorful presents. I can't wait to get Julia in that pool.

One more thing: I put together a little quiz to test our family members' Julia IQ. Here are the questions. And below the slide show are the answers. See if you can beat Amber's 19 points!

How well do you know JULIA?

1. What time of day was Julia born?
2. What is Julia's middle name?
3. Julia was almost named _________.
4. What was Julia's (recent) first word?
5. True or False: Julia loves grass.
6. Which does Julia prefer: a cucumber or applesauce?
7. What time does Julia usually go to bed?
8. How many teeth does Julia have?
9. What was the first movie Julia saw in the theater?
10. What shape does Julia's face resemble?
11. Name at least one word Julia can sign.
12. How many cousins (on both sides) does Julia have?
13. What is Julia's greatest fear: Uncle Matt or the vacuum?
14. Julia loves to pretend she is talking on the phone. Name at least one thing she has used as a "phone" recently.
15. How many of the United States has Julia traveled to? (a point for each state you can name)




Answers: 1.7:50 am /2.Emily /3.Molly /4."Mum!" for yum /5.False /6.cucumber /7.between 7 and 7:30 /8. 2 teeth /9. the latest Harry Potter /10.square / 11. milk, food, water, hi, sleep / 12. 11 cousins / 13. the vacuum, of course! She is really warming up to Mattie. / 14. her hand, keys, various toys, chapstick, a cheerio, a piece of cheese / 15. Colorado, Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, Idaho, California

14 comments:

Taylor Gardner said...

Can it REALLY be!!? I know they are 3 months apart, but I feel like we had our babies 'together'-ish. Unreal how the time zooms along.

I LOVE her pig-tails. She is such a cute little 'toddler'. Also, I gotta say...your ice cream cake looked to-die-for.

Happy Birthday again, little Julia...maybe next year for your birthday you'll get a little brother or sister ;)

Drew said...

Oh yes, she really loved that cake. And I think I did pretty well on the quiz, considering I was gone for more than half of her first year.

Happy birthday, Jujy Fruits!

Drew said...

And yes, the ice cream cake was a miraculous confection.

aandkhousewright said...

Mel- I can't believe your baby is 1 already! And I can't believe she only has two teeth! Brody has 16 teeth! You guys look so cute! I'm so happy for you! I wish we could see each other soon!

emilie s. d. p. said...

Those pig-tails kill me, SO adorable. I'm glad that Julia was still able to enjoy the festivities even though she hasn't been feeling too well.

Hope to see you guys soon!

Would you all be up for a roomate get together later this month? I was thinking we could have it on a Saturday afternoon or something. What do you think?

Woods said...

What? Where did that year go? I need to see her way more often than once a year. I can't believe how cute she is eating her cake. I love it!

James and Danielle said...

Happy Birthday Julia! I can't believe she is a year already, time flies. I love that she needed water breaks between bites of cake.

Cami said...

Um, yeah, I got like 9 points or something lame. Happy B-day Baby Juju!!! You are a cutie! I hope you like cousin Janey someday.

Marianne said...

Lets see how well I do...


1. What time of day was Julia born?- She was born in the morning.
2. What is Julia's middle name?
3. Julia was almost named Molly.
4. What was Julia's (recent) first word? um, hi?
5. True or False: Julia loves grass. False
6. Which does Julia prefer: a cucumber or applesauce? Cucumber.
7. What time does Julia usually go to bed? 7 ish. or 8:30 if we babysit.
8. How many teeth does Julia have? she has two teeth. Probably currently breaking more.
9. What was the first movie Julia saw in the theater? Narnia
10. What shape does Julia's face resemble? a square. (but I think its darling.)
11. Name at least one word Julia can sign. drink? I know she knows patty-cake.
12. How many cousins (on both sides) does Julia have? yikes- i have no idea. On your side, 9 i think. i can't remember all of Amber's kids.
13. What is Julia's greatest fear: Uncle Matt or the vacuum? Uncle Matt
14. Julia loves to pretend she is talking on the phone. Name at least one thing she has used as a "phone" recently. a cheerio
15. How many of the United States has Julia traveled to? (a point for each state you can name)5? colorado, maine, utah, idaho, and one other one.

How did I do?

Marianne said...

oh dang- i forgot to do #2- its Emily.

Jill said...

she is the cutest square faced,pig tailed, phone talking, cake eating toddler I have ever seen! cute pics, congrats on the big ONE julia!

Emily said...

I took that quiz and I'm pretty sure I either tied or had one less than amber, depending on if you can count a point for each thing she's talked on the phone with. I counted my make-up as one of them. The only thing I got wrong was that I didn't know she'd been to Idaho. Pretty good for an out of towner. I wish I could've been there to celebrate and have some delicious cake. I hope she is feeling better. I miss you guys like the dickens.

Sarah said...

Wow! That year flew! Hard to beileive you have a "toddler" - but in my eyes, they are babies till at least 18 months... if it makes you feel better.

Lili and Jeff said...

I only got 14 :( I wish Jeff and I could have been there for the baby's first cake eating times. That wounds so cute and funny. The pictures are the cutest pictures ever. Please come play at my apartment sometime. If you need to put baby down, we have 2 extra bedrooms.