Thursday, June 12, 2008

1% Challenge

A couple of months ago Jonny told me he'd like to cut a few calories from his daily diet. (I agree, he really doesn't need to lose any weight. Nevertheless...) I told him I know of a very easy way to do just that. I also told him that I knew he was not going to like the idea. But I challenged him to just try it for one month. If he warms up to it, great. If not, at least he tried. Thus, Jonny gave up his beloved 2% milk and began the 1% challenge.

This was particularly hard for Jonny since he drank whole milk for much of his life. He complained that it was bad enough he downgraded to 2% in college. Our marriage brought in his 2% and my occasional (I don't drink milk much, sadly) skim. No, we didn't compromise with 1% at that time because I hardly drank it, so I figured he might as well keep his old habit. (Plus, when I did drink it, the 2% tasted a whole lot better than skim!)

But now, years later, Jonny has decided to try out the "watered down" milk, as he calls it. And do you know what? When the month mark came around, neither of us even realized it. Jonny just kept drinking that 1% milk as if it is what he had always done. The other day it dawned on me that Jonny has indeed met the challenge! Not only that, but 1% is here to stay. Congratulations, Jonny. Now, if you can just manage to keep away from that whole milk, should I start buying it for Julia...

6 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

Good Jeeeooorrrb Jonny! That is an accomplishment! Luckilly Jeff and I both enjoy 1% so we didn't have to give up much. I think you will find it isn't that much different in the end, though I do like my 2% on occasion.

Cami said...

Oh no . . . that whole milk is tempting when you get it for the baby! Anyway, good job! What a sacrifice.

Unknown said...

yay! andy and i have been trying to cut calories as well, and though it was really hard for andy, we only buy skim now. i also love the vanilla soy milk from costco. have you tried it? it's the best!

Drew said...

First, gag that Jonny thinks he needs to watch calories. Second, hurrah! I'm a 1% man myself, and I believe I have been having this conflict with Jonny for years! Yay, we are resolved at last!

Matt said...

That's a touch change. Somehow cortnie has me drinking Skim Milk. Ack! Good job Jonnington.

Woods said...

That is so funny! I managed to do the same with Kev and now I'm working to get him on skim. It's a challenge, but a great way to cut back on calories.