Friday, August 6, 2010

Somtimes all it takes is a donut.

Julia has been in a big bed since her birthday in June. For weeks she stayed in the bed as if it were her crib. She wouldn't even get out in the morning - she'd call for us that she was awake just as she did before. Then some kind of revelation came to her and she saw how easy it was to get in and out of bed on her own. Finally, she could see what Mom and Dad were up to after her lullaby and bedtime prayer.

It was time for incentives, some positive reinforcement. So we tried a sticker chart. It is simply a picture of a bed with a sectioned path that leads to a picture of the reward. The first time it was an ice cream cone. Next it was some fairy dress-ups I bought from the Target $1 Spot. And the latest was a donut with sprinkles. (The sections on the path have increased in number with each chart. At first it was only 5.)

The charts weren't an immediate hit. Sometimes she would say, "Me just don't care, Mom." But as she is understanding that we don't mess around with bedtime, and she has reaped the chart rewards a few times, lately any bedtime defiance has definitely become the exception. It's heavenly.

So most every morning I happily remind her that she stayed in bed and gets to choose a sticker for the chart. It's a good system for now. I get just about excited as she does when she reaches the reward at the end of the path. (Because I am proud of her, of course. But it doesn't hurt that I get to share a donut with Gabe too.)

Anyway, below are some pictures of the celebratory outings. Check out the frozen yogurt she put together. The video is an interview after the donut outing. Anybody have any more ideas for small but substantial rewards? This girl will get to that coloring book on the new chart before we know it.


6 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh my gosh... what a doll.

Drew said...

It has just struck me how much she looks like Jonny. OMGoodness.

Lindsey Bench said...

SUCCESS! Good job Ju-ju! I'm relieved that we didn't get in the way of her earning her donut. I love the video, so cute.

Emily said...

That is some serious frozen yogurt. Juju is so funny. I'm going to watch the video again, and probably more times after that. I love the "shart". It's so great that it's working. Maybe one of her prizes could be to make cookies with you or something, unless that is something you do anyway. What a sweet, obedient little girl.

melody said...

Ooh, making cookies is perfect. (But yes, that can make it tricky if it's something we'd like to do anyway. When she was earning the ice cream Jonny wanted to take her to get a cone one day but it just couldn't be done!)

Sarah said...

so cute! What about a popsicle, a disposable camera?, bubbles, leis from the dollar store...
That's all my ideas. The dollar store has some great prizes.