Julia and Gabe, mostly Gabe lately, ask for one song and one song only in the car. Seriously, Gabe is like a broken record. Almost every time we get in the car he says, "Dee, dee, dee, dee!" and fusses until I select number 7 on the Neil Diamond Greatest Hits CD and we all jam out to "Crunchy Granola Suite."
It is something of a nonsense song and the kids go crazy for it. (When I make granola Julia asks for "some crunchy granola suite, please!") Some of you may think I sound like a broken record myself. And I am, check out this post and the videos of Julia's earlier obsession with this song. Now Gabe has caught on and there's not much we can do about it. Sometimes he is crying and upset in the car. This song works magic. I turn it on and he is all smiles and head-banging like a madman.
He also loves to sing along. Check out half way through the video when he is a little frustrated that his favorite lyrics (the "deetle-eet-deet-deet") haven't shown up in a while. Also, notice Julia's action to one of the lyrics where she daintily touches her armrest when Neil sings, "I knew a man was out of touch." We only had to listen to the song four or five times on our way home from hiking in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Oh boy.
(It is a little loud. You may want to turn your volume down!)
P.S. This video doesn't even capture Gabe's usual excitement as the song begins. Sometimes he can't contain himself!
P.P.S. Speaking of broken records, their favorite song is now skipping in several places. Maybe it's time to introduce a new favorite. Perhaps Paul McCartney's "Silly Love Songs?" I could go for that. It'd be nice to branch out. I should make a whole mix of awesome jamming songs. Because I refuse to play any obnoxious kid music in the car. I guess I could go for a little Raffi and some Disney. But I will not play their Signing Time CDs in there. I will go crazy if that's all we listen to! I need to be smart about these things...
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Love it! "Touch!" Nice. I also love the idea of introducing kids to great music at a young age. Who says they have to listen to kids' CDs or The Wiggles or Barney? But I think some select Raffi or Disney would be nice for their age group. I suppose Veggie Tales songs are out of the question? Or Schoolhouse Rock? Just let me know, you know I have the goods.
I have a niece who really likes dancing to Beyonce's single ladies song (isn't it just called "Single Ladies"? Am I out of touch?). It's one of the things we have in common.
Thank you so much for the laugh as I sit here at 4:45 am waiting for Ruby to stop crying in her bed. That is hilarious. I am also anti-kids songs, but I think I need you to make me a copy of that CD when you compile it. I don't even think I own any Neil!!
Julia is so funny, and Gab looks so old.
Oh MAN that is hilarious. Gabe is the funniest. Yeah, I sneak a few regular songs onto the "kids" songs CDs, and the kids now think they are kids songs. They'd probably love that one! We haven't been in the car enough to care about turning anything on, so Jane doesn't know anything but the Backyardigans stuff she dances to! Shocking.
Oh, how funny. Great idea. Music the whole family can enjoy. How about the Old Oaken Bucket? Ha.
cute and fun. Funny how they will stick on one song for what seems like forever. Kinda like me and "keeping the dream alive" some years back, eh? yes, try silly, etc. It has "silly love songs" repeated a lot. Also "I love you" a lot.
Oh Mel I LOVE THIS!!!!! They are so stinkin cute! I laughed so hard and I still can't stop smiling!
Post a Comment