Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Increasingly Opposite

When Gabe was born one of my first thoughts was, "Hello, Mr. Julia." As a newborn he looked a lot like his big sister. And he acted like her too: He had two strong little legs that kicked like crazy inside and out of my tummy. He was no snuggler. He was alert and active. He required some serious "sleep training." He was almost always happy and smiley. (Here we are comparing newborn Gabe to a picture of newborn Julia.)
As Gabe has grown, the differences between Julia and him have greatly increased. He looks like me, while she is still a mini Jonny. He trips, falls, crashes, and gets a new bruise every day. I could probably count the number of ouchies Julia had as a toddler. He is even louder and more rambunctious than Julia was. And I thought she was pretty wild.

There are many more differences between them, but the one that stands out the most right now involves the vacuum. It was one-year-old Julia's greatest fear. Only in the last year has she come to terms with the monster. But Gabe? He is in love. Now that he is too big and not content to stay in his exersaucer while I vacuum, I am realizing just how fascinated he is. It is pretty counterproductive to try to vacuum while he is around. He chases the big loud machine like it is the ice cream truck. Once he reaches it, there is no use trying to clean the carpets anymore. He sits on it, hugs it, he was even trying to eat it the other day. Wish I had a video of his adoration.

What is it that he loves and Julia was terrified of - the noise, the vibration, the forward and backward motion? Whatever it is, Gabe is all about it. Makes me laugh and wonder every time.

9 comments:

Emily said...

What a crack-up! That Gabe is something else. I am afraid I have some vacuum scardy-cats over here. They used to like it, but have since shown a dislike toward it. I don't think we'll have problems with anyone wanting to eat the vacuum when I need to do some cleaning.

Jill said...

He's a boy...enough said :) I swear boys are always into the way things work, and will be far more rough and tumble than little girls. Jack insists on turning the vaccum on and off, and has to push for the first minute or so. Biance runs screaming to the couch or goes into her room and shuts the door.

I am shocked at the difference between Jack and Bianca too. Scott and I were recently having a discussion on the whole "nature vs. nurture" thing in regards to gender. Kind of funny to pick out the differences!

You should take out the hose and suck Gabes belly or bottom (through his clothes of course :)) Jack thinks it's hysterical, and can't get enough!

Cami said...

Isn't it funny how they just get their own little selves figured out? Jeffy was obsessed with the hair dryer, as you recall, but Ethan STILL runs from the vacuum. Very silly. MAN, they DID look alike as babies!

Megan and Taj said...

Now that is Hilarious!!!!

Lindsey Bench said...

Asher loves the vaccum too. I know what we should do at our next play date...

Drew said...

Ha ha haaa, Jeffy and that hair dryer. I think this is great. Let's see if he's as in love with it when his turn to vacuum the house comes around. It does sound like a case of boys vs. girls to me too.

Savannah said...

You really do need to get some video of that for sure! I am laughing trying to picture it- what a funny boy!

Savannah said...

Oh! Melody! GOod luck on your race!! Isn't it this Saturday!? I hope you post about it ( would you post on this blog or your running one? )
How are you feeling so far? Nervous? Excited? I'm dreaded mine because once again I feel that I have not been able to train like I wanted to and will probably not better my time by much :( I so excited to hear about yours! Have fun! Good luck!

Unknown said...

funny. go figure.