Friday, February 18, 2011

No pressure, Jonny

Jonny began working on our unfinished basement last month. It's a big job that will take several months, but it'll be so nice to have a designated playroom when it is done. (We may or may not finish the three bedrooms and bathroom at this point. But he is planning to frame it all.) With all the hammering, sawing, and construction-talk going on around here, Julia has taken especial notice to how our home compares with her friends' houses.

A few weeks ago a concerned Julia said to me,"Naomi has an upstairs, Lassyn (Allyson) has an upstairs, but we don't have one. Mom, can we go to the store and buy an upstairs? Please!?"

And last week, after playing at the Chamberlain's home in their newly-finished basement, she said, "Ums (this is how she says them, or thems in this case, meaning their) basement is all built. Ums dad built it as fast as he could. Ours daddy is not building ours basement as fast as he can."

But in Jonny's defense, he is doing the best he can! He is down in the basement for an hour or two after work on most weekdays and spends free Saturdays down there as well. (He'd work into the evening hours, but all the noise would keep the kids awake.) And, mind you, this is his first time doing such a project. The deck was a big one. But this is an even greater endeavor. You can do it, Jonny. I have no doubt whatsoever.
  Julia is crazy about helping whenever she possibly can.
 Okay, okay, I don't help out all that much with the hard labor. But on this day we did all carry in some wood. 
And Gabe mostly gets scooped up and out of the way. 
And of course I kiss him when I scoop him up.

8 comments:

Drew said...

At least Julia is learning at a young age how important it is to be careful around power tools! Also she knows the danger of slivers. Very key information.

Jana said...

Have I told you I think you make the most BEAUTIFUL children in the world??

Lili and Jeff said...

Looks like we removed ummselves from your storage space just in time! I can't wait to see the finished picture. Jonny is so handy, that is very impressive that he is finishing up your basement all by himself!

Matt said...

Rad.

Emily said...

Geez Juju, such demands! At least she is eager to help out. A basement play room sound glorious! I hope it's ready for an air mattress and a few cribs for the next time we come to Utah (whenever that may be).

Cami said...

Who WOULDN'T kiss him?

Jonny is amazing. Jake is a little intimidated, I think. You will LOVE having that basement! Tell Juju that Janey does NOT have an upstairs either, so it's ok.

Sarah said...

So cute. Glad to see she is willing to help. So nice to have such a handy husband!

Jill said...

Tell Julia that she can come over to my house ANYTIME...we have an upstairs to fulfill her dreams :)

Mel, you are definately the best looking 2x4 carrying momma I've ever seen...lookin' good!