Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Merry Miss-us"

Julia is crazy about anything to do with Christmas, or "Miss-us." She can sing nearly every word of "Jingle Bells" as well as many other songs. She can't stop talking about how Santa is going to bring her toys. When I asked her where Santa lives she thought for a few seconds then said, "to town!" (knowledge drawn from another favorite "Santa Claus is Coming to Town")

She also loves the snow. Last week she and Jonny were out there enjoying the fresh powder three evenings in a row. Thanks to our fenced-in backyard, I let her play out there all morning one day. I had to bribe her with hot chocolate to get her and her red nose inside.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to share some Christmas words and phrases Julia-style. We love how she talks. See if you can translate these. I'll try my best to spell them as she says them. The answers are in red below the pictures.

1. "Sat-a"
2. "Roo-sauce"
3. "Ties!"
4. "Ding Boughs" (mentioned in a previous post)
5. "Tan-Bom, lees are so un-cheen-een."
6. "Bossy Snow-mine"
7. "Oh-wha-fun-is-to-rie" (said really fast, like one word)
8. "Caa-cane"
9. "Peasants una chee!?"
10. "Sockings"
11. "Baby Jee-iss"
12. "Mama Me-ee"
13. "Daddy Joe-zis"

And a bonus, non-Christmas phrase that she has picked up from me lately: "Okay, choke-chokey." I laugh every time she says it.


1. "Sat-a"= Santa
2. "Roo-sauce"= Rudolph
3. "Ties!"= toys
4. "Ding Boughs"= Jingle Bells
5. "Tan-Bom, lees are so un-cheen-een."= Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum, your leaves are so unchanging.
6. "Bossy Snow-mine"= Frosty the Snowman

7. "Oh-wha-fun-is-to-rie" = Oh what fun it is to ride...

8. "Caa-cane"= candy cane
9. "Peasants una chee!?"= presents under the tree
10. "Sockings"= stockings

11. "Baby Jee-iss"= Baby Jesus

12. "Mama Me-ee"= Mama Mary
13. "Daddy Joe-zis"= Daddy Joseph

Bonus: "Okay, choke-chokey"= Okey dokey, artichokey

3 comments:

Jill said...

Ha! So cute, I love the julia-isms. Christmas morning will be a blast for you guys tomorrow!

Cami said...

love the artichokey. What a cute funny girl she is.

linnylou said...

very cute! hope you had a merry christmas!