I remember a time in college when Economics-major-Jonny taught me about sunk costs. Since then I have really tried not to let sunk costs get me down. Simplified, sunk costs are money, time, or resources that are spent, unintentionally wasted, and there is no logical going back. Thus, the cost is sunk.
For example, you plan to paint your laundry room only to find the tan paint kept in your garage over the winter is frozen. So you decide to have fun with color- since you need new paint anyway- and buy a gallon of orange paint, realizing upon application that is is much brighter than the paint sample appeared in the store. Paint is non-returnable. And so is the time you spent pouring over paint samples, finally picking a color, immediately regretting the color, buying the paint, being insulted by the cashier about your color choice, and taking the time to try it out on a wall anyway. These are all sunk costs. (No, these aren't major costs by any means, but wasted nonetheless.) For some reason I was letting all these sunk costs get to me yesterday. (And I wasn't even the one painting!) But what's the point? By dwelling on sunk costs, I am only putting more time and energy into something that is past and can't be changed. This small but significant experience has strengthened my resolve to be better about shaking off sunk costs. That doesn't mean I can't learn from them though. Hey, maybe then I am actually gaining from the sunk cost after all?? I think I will look at it that way. In the meantime, we will purchase another gallon of paint. A sunk cost? Maybe, but I can't wait to say farewell that hideous orange wall.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
So true. Not just that, but the time we spend worrying about sunk cost is introducing a new cost... opportunity cost. We could be spending the "worry" time on something productive.
Oh yes, I remember you teaching me about opportunity cost as well. Keep the econ lessons coming, Man. Draw me some graphs if that'll help!
sorry the orange was a no-go. Unfortunately I know how that goes.. hence the reason we have a big blue wall... it was orange, black, and finally blue. Although i must say the green for Julia's room looks fantastic!!1
I think you should have posted a picture of the bright orange wall. I think it sounds kind of cool. I like that you were trying something fun, hopefully your next choice will be equally exciting but not so bright and loud. Good luck!
It's so fun that you guys have your own home now that you can paint and have fun with.
Thank goodness it's in the Laundry room!
Um, where's the picture of the orange wall to help illustrate the point?!?
Sorry I haven't taken the time to post a photo. Just use your imagination to picture a brilliantly (not muted, as I'd hoped) orange wall that's splotchy because it only has one coat. There you have it!
I must see this wall. It may be the perfect match to my sunk cost orange couch!!
My hearts sinks with you as I think of all the wasted effort, time, and money. I have been there and it is NO fun. But soon it will be all over and you will have a good story to tell. I bet Jujus likes the color.
Oh dear. I know this feeling. No fun. So, my friend had the same experience--bought orange paint thinking it would make a great wall in her kitchen, and found it was much brighter than she thought. Only, she kept it. She's not one to deal with sunk costs. She'll live with it.
Yes I agree we need a picture of Julia in the orange laundry room.
Sorry everyone, that wall is long gone. But maybe I'll post a picture of Julia soon anyway, for Matt.
"Sunk costs are irrelevant." Ahh...brings me back to those Econ 110 days...
Post a Comment