Sunday, March 6, 2011

shh, don't tell the kids...

...but last week Jonny and I took off to California without them. And, yes, we had a wonderful time lounging on the beach, walking around unencumbered by a stroller, carrying a purse free of diapers and sippy cups, eating at restaurants without even glancing at a kids menu, actually reading during the flight, waking up in the morning at our leisure, soaking in the hot tub late at night, eating ice cream at least once a day, and even playing at Disneyland and California Adventure.

But before we had been gone even 24 hours, something I really hadn't expected happened. I missed Julia and Gabe dreadfully. I knew I'd miss them, sure, they're my babies. But I really missed them. We both did. Maybe it's because we knew we wouldn't see them for two and a half more days. Maybe it's because we felt a little guilty being on such a great vacation without them. Or maybe it's because we were surrounded by thousands of other darling kids at "the happiest place on earth."

Whatever the cause, luckily we managed to have an incredible time that day and the remainder of the trip. (The next day it wasn't so bad, I knew I'd see them after one more night.) I knew Julia and Gabe were having the time of their lives staying with grandma and cousins. (Thanks again Mom, Cami, and Amber!) And I truly was having the time of my life on what felt like a second honeymoon. It was quite blissful.

Anyway, I learned something on our little get-a-way. Alone time is very important for Jonny and me. I always look forward to our evenings after the kids are in bed and date nights on the weekend. A little extended time away from the kids is luxurious, but to be taken in small doses for us! As it turns out, we need these little friends of ours just as much as they need us. (Maybe even more, judging by how upset Julia was when we tried to bring her home from her cousins' house! Gabe, on the other hand, was hugging and kissing me like crazy.) Sure, they fuss and cry and fight and throw tantrums. (They welcomed me home with a couple of those this morning while Jonny was at an early meeting.) But they also make me laugh and smile countless times every single day. I marvel at their growing minds and understanding. I cry bitter-sweet tears when I realize that they really won't be my babies for very much longer. And I love it. I love being their mommy. It's the most exciting and difficult thing I've ever done. And I'm only four years into it! So here's to many more, with perhaps a few occasional escapades for Jonny and me to catch our breath and remember that we're still young too. Then straight back home to our peeps, because, as Julia often says, "We are a flamily."

Of course I can't leave this post without putting a few photo highlights of our weekend in sunny California. Because we really did have a blast. Just don't show these pictures to Julia...
 Jonny took me on a little tour of the sketchy neighborhood where we spent the night on our honeymoon before our cruise ship sailed. We remember buying fruit and water at El Super. And eating fried chicken in the parking lot.
We tried kissing during the picture of the Tower of Terror drop. It was tricky!
 Jonny makes fun that I have the same face on most rides. And he thinks it is crazy that I scream.
I can't help it, honestly.
"Hey look! It's dork and dork jr!"
(Sorry, Jonny, I couldn't resist a movie quote.) 
Jonny daintily eating a salad: 
Me ravenously eating a corn dog: 
 Matt, Cortnie, and Jack were in D-land a few days before us. They left a note and pirate garb for us in a secret spot. It was so exciting to find it where they left it! (It was hidden in a decorative treasure chest on a high window ledge in an obscure corner of a gift shop. Sneaky.)
 Jonny did put the arrow back in the correct direction, after we toyed with the idea of setting the loose arrow another way. We just didn't have the heart, I guess. (Those of you who were involved in the stealing of a loose ski lift sign with me in earlier days can see that I have changed my tune. Hey, where is that infamous sign anyway?)
Again, don't tell Julia:

Here I am, excited to ride California Screamin' for the third time. (I wonder if I will grow up to be one of those moms who doesn't ride roller coasters. ???) But my favorite, of course, is Soarin' Over California. That is the closet I've ever felt to flying. We'll just have to go sky diving and change that, huh Jonny?
I could have stayed at Newport Beach all evening. But it was pretty chilly. Some clam chowder in a local restaurant warmed me up, but I was sad to leave the ocean view.
 We spent our last hour at a lovely park near the airport, watching birds and turtles in a pond. Within a few hours we were back in gloomy Utah. Blah. But I was happy to be back home in our mountain state. I do love it.
P.S. This was by no means the first time we've left the kids. I've been to MD a couple times without them, as well as Girls Camp. But those times Jonny has been home. We did, however, both leave them for five days while we went on a youth pioneer trek last summer. Maybe this was harder because we were partying the whole time. But then, like I said, so were they. Julia has been telling us all about her incredible weekend with cousins and Nana. Surely she'll be begging us to go on another "shrip" very soon.

14 comments:

Emily said...

First of all, that trip looked awesome! I'm so jealous of that sunshine and sand! It's definitely important to only focus on each other now and then. What a luxury to be kid-free for a few days! But I also totally understand missing the kids. We've only ever been gone for one night at a time, but I am always watching videos on my camera, or talking about them throughout our time away. Three days WOULD be hard. It's always nice to have something to come home to.

I think the next trip you take (hint, hint,) you should bring the kids right along!!

Lindsey Bench said...

yay! I am so glad you got to go. And I COMPLETELY understand what you mean. You are so happy to be with out kids, but the whole time you are at D Land you keep thinking about how much fun your kiddo would be having.

Also, when we went you better believe I was eating one of those corn dogs.

Jules said...

That looks like such a fun trip! I'm jealous of your beach time (and Disneyland time too of course). Welcome back!

emilie s. d. p. said...

What a fun trip! You and Jonny definitely deserved the alone time and I think it's adorable that you missed your kiddos so much. Like you said, I think being away in small doses is the best way to be away.

Even though we don't have any kids yet Mitch always says he doesn't want to leave our kids with anyone but us (we'll see how he feels after we actually have kids) but I can imagine wanting to share all the fun you had with them too...because that's what friends do, and I love that you and Jonny see Julia & Gabe as your friends!

Oh, and timing the kissing for the tower ride picture is pretty impressive! I love it.

Drew said...

YAY, thank you for posting pictures! I'm glad you had a good time and I hope the crowds were in your favor. I'm sure it's nice to get away just the two of you now and then, even if you miss your friends. They'll still be there when you get home!

Ha ha haaaa, A Goofy Movie. And of course you scream on the rides! That's what you're supposed to do, Jonny.

James and Danielle said...

I am so glad you two had a fun trip. Wish we could have made it down there but we will have to party in June instead!
We have only gone away without Carter once for James' birthday and I missed the little man like crazy but he had fun with grandma. It is probably good we miss them so we want to come back from our vacations to get back into the trenches of parenthood!

Megan and Taj said...

Oh how wonderful!!!! I can totally totally understand how you feel about leaving those cute kiddos. It is so bitter sweet in deed. I of coarse shed a tear while reading your sweet post.. Especially talking about how they won't be babies forever. I just can hardly stand the thought of my baby growing..and yet i love watching him grow. So happy you and your cute hubby had such wonderful time.

Meridith said...

Melody. Stealing?! You rebel. Glad you and Jonny had some quality time. You are such cute little love birds!

Unknown said...

fun times. at home and away.

Barrett said...

Awesome bro!! You and Melody deserved it together alone for a while... Melody.. I would feel the same when we realized how we missed our babies.. but it is so worth to be alone with your hubby for awhile..wink!! Jon! I'm so fortunate that you have such a wonderful wife!!! You want to spend some fun with Melody!! Parenthood is a lot of work and its not having some good time with your wife! You are an amazing brother!! I know you. Juju and Gabe are soo lucky to have you two!! They love you!!! Love ya

Sarah said...

Oh fun! Ariel and i are thinking we need to have a getaway for our 5 year anniversary... only we will have a newborn. But you make me want to even more.
As far as the sign... I don't know where it is. Matt asked not too long ago. I thought he had it. Maybe Spence? :) If not, it might be in my storage somewhere... since no one ever came to college to visit me ;)

Savannah said...

What a cute couple you two are . . . I love these pictures. You guys look so in love. Yes, It's okay to have a little time together! Your marriage is so important and you need that quality time so good for you! :)
PS I am like 99% sure I finally saw your grandma running which is funny because I was literally thinking about her and wondering if I would ever see her and the next day I saw her!! She is like a total babe! With her tan and bright blond hair, so adorable! I want to be her! I'm pretty sure it was her . . .

Jill said...

Oh man, alone time is TOTALLY necessary. Your little escape has be thinking about one for scotty and I.

you and Jonny are adorable. I love all those pictures!

Cami said...

Very fun! I know how you feel though. Even that quick trip to Las Vegas last year was very hard for me--just a few hours later than I thought we were leaving put me into a panic! Crazy. That is one reason we're going on a cruise instead of to Hawaii.

Glad you got a nice trip!