Monday, February 15, 2010

"Things are going to start happening to me NOW"

The other day as Jonny and Julia were looking through the February Friend magazine (A publication for children by the LDS church) I overheard them reading a story titled "The Two Years that Flew." I thought to myself, "Hmm, that sounds familiar." I couldn't shake the feeling I'd heard those words before so I took a closer look at the magazine to find it was a story my Mom wrote and sold to the magazine years ago! The story is about me and the "Poems of the Month" I wrote to my brother Matt on his mission. (The title sounded so familiar because it is a line from one of my original poems.) It was such a surprise to see my Mom's fun story - even for her. (They don't tell you when your story will be printed. Could be months, or years, in this case.) Here is a link to the story in case you are interested but don't subscribe to the magazine. (Sorry, no fun illustrations with the online version.)

Anyway, my Mom has written and published dozens of stories to various magazines (and she used to write a column for the local newspaper). But I remember when she wrote this one because it was the first story about me. It seemed like all the other kids were featured in some publication and I was always trying to get in one too! Ashley and Emily, remember the time we chased the ice cream truck around all day in hopes that Mom would write a column or story about it? And another time we worked so hard at building a snow fort, hoping it would be big and cool enough to make it into the newspaper via Mom. No dice.

P.S. Disclaimer: I wrote the poems to Matt with only the purest intentions, with no idea my Mom would write about it.

P.P.S. The title of this post is a quote from The Jerk. If you have never seen this hilarious Steve Martin movie, make sure you catch it next time it is edited on TV. This line is from the part where he finds his name in the phone book for the first time.

12 comments:

Jill said...

Wahoo, it's your big break!!!

very sweet story!

Emily said...

We listened to it on Sunday for our "church meeting". Much better than sunday school. HA! It was so fun to hear. I actually got a little teary hearing your rhymes and remembering old times. Congrats on your big break!

Emily said...

This is actually Mom. Yes, I was glad at the time I sold that story that you finally made it.(Please note that I wrote other stories starring YOU that never made it into print.) But I didn't know you were continually auditioning! I did write about all you kids in my column many times. Remember AME diner? I'll try to find it for you.

P.S. The little girl you were was better than any story I could have written. Truly.

P.P.S. Invite me to your blog.

aandkhousewright said...

no way! we read that story a few weeks ago. i'll have to read it again now that i know it's about you!

Matt said...

I also loved this article and the poems every month. I am almost positive I still have them, and will be looking for them. I did lose a big box of mission stuff...so I hope they weren't in there. :(

Funny cahoots too... I used that "The Jerk" line at work on friday.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

That's great! You're family has always been so talented with art and music and writing and cooking :) That was fun to read.

That was such a cute idea to write a poem each month :) If Matt finds them, or if you have copies of them, I think you should post all 24 on the blog :)

Megan and Taj said...

ok.. that is the sweetest thing I have ever read! Mel, you are so dang cute! I totally caught myself getting choked up while reading that adorable story, and thinking about my little missionary brother in freezing cold Minnesota! Your mom is so talented! You must get all your writing and rhyming talents from her!! THANKS FOR SHARING!

aandkhousewright said...

btw, mel -- you posted a long time ago about advice on a good mop. i'm in desparate need of a new mop now -- any suggestions for me?

emilie s. d. p. said...

That is so adorable and awesome! You know you've made it in the world when your name appears in the Friend!

This is definitely not the same but I just got done reading Kitchen Privileges by Mary Higgins Clark. It's her memoir and even though I've only actually read a couple of her books it was still a really good read. She's had a very interesting life and it was fun to read a little about how she got her start and her ideas. Anyway, just like your mom she kept sending in articles and didn't always know which ones would get published or when. To me the talent to write is really amazing.

Cami said...

My name in PRINT! That is the kind of thing that MAKES people!!

Jake thought it was pretty cool when he found it in the Friend. The kids were a little starstruck too.

Taylor Gardner said...

Ha!! I just love this. What a little poet you are :)

Can't wait to see you all tomorrow.

Sarah said...

Congrats Mom Graham! Remember how she said she was going to use my maiden name in a story? Maybe it will get published in a magazine someday! (that's the closest I will get to publication since I can't write like you two!)