Monday, February 1, 2010

"And Oceans"

Well, we are back home in gloomy Utah. Don't get me wrong - I love this mountain state. But it is never fun to come from sunny CA back to snowy UT.

We enjoyed a perfectly wonderful time on our little trip to San Diego. It was just what we needed to help us get through the rest of the winter. While it wasn't warm enough to swim at the beach, we enjoyed the sunny days and ocean life at Sea World. (If you ever want to go there, winter is the time to do it. The crowd was extremely small - almost too small on Wednesday! It felt kind of like a ghost town. On Friday there were more people, but not too many - just enough to add a little energy to the place.)

The highlight of our trip was renting bikes and a trailer on Thursday. We cruised on the wide sidewalk along the Mission Beach coast. Julia and Gabe were great sports - we thought that even more so when we noticed half way through our ride that they were being blasted with sand! Sorry, you two. I wish I could ride that coastline every day. It was by far the best $15 we spent on the trip.
Another highlight for me was stroking a dolphin at Sea World. They were so friendly and easy to reach if you waited long enough. I am crazy about dolphins. I nearly cried when I saw them up close and personal. Ocean life fascinates me. I can't get over the trainers swimming with the amazing killer whales. And neither can Julia. She's been chanting "Shamu! Shamu!" all week. But she says it, "Samu! Samu!"
Oh, and the title of the post is from Julia. When we told her about how we'd go to the beach and Sea World and see fish, dolphins, and whales, she said, "And Oceans!?" We are not sure where she picked up that word, since we didn't specify that we'd see the ocean. (Maybe she picked it out of her lullaby that sings of dolphins sleeping in the ocean.) Anyway, she seemed a little let down when we drove up to the beach and pointed out the long-anticipated ocean. "Where's oceans!?" she asked. Apparently she had something else in mind. As for me, I could stare out at that horizon all day long.

11 comments:

Lindsey Bench said...

What a dream vacation. Glad it was a success!

Lili and Jeff said...

That slide show was an adventure all on its own for me! I wish I could have been there seeing your kids get so excited about Shamu and what not! Julia is such a diva in those sunglasses, and those pictures where Jonny is throwing Gabe makes me wet my pants with nervousness. Awesome trip!

Jules said...

*cries with jealousy*

Cami said...

Looks and sounds SO fun! MAN that first picture is awesome.

Matt said...

Took my breath away. Fantastic pics. Looks so fun.

Kassi said...

I hear ya. Curtis family lives in California so when we visited them this Christmas we could take walks during the day. I am so glad you got to go and that you enjoyed it so much. I loved looking at your pictures. It really made me want to go!

Barrett said...

Awesome family trip and inspiring vacation!!! Those beautiful scenerios could be a big exalting influence on you after you asked yourself to live there!!! Beautiful pictures!! Glad that it was quieter than in the summertime!

Woods said...

I forgot you had a nice vacation. I'm so so jealous. It looks beautiful. I love sea world I wish I was there right now!! Your kids are adorable!!

Emily said...

HEY this is BRITNEY add me to your list and invite me also cause I can't access it.

Melanie said...

I am glad you had a fun trip! I love Sea World too..we went once in December and it wasn't crowded at all, I want to go again!

Sarah said...

Looks like a blast. Love those pictures by Lili!