This is when I learned the methods of puzzling. Jonny began explaining how we'd go about putting together this 1000 piecer. I didn't realize so much went into a little jigsaw! Anyway, we worked on it that night for quite a while, hardly accomplishing anything (in my opinion, at least. Jonny seemed to think we had made great progress). And there the puzzle sat for over a week. Discouraged by the complexity of the puzzle (the flowers were nearly all the same color!) I hardly ever touched it again. Jonny, however, would return home from work, kiss me, make Julia giggle a little, then sit down to the puzzle and work until I covered it up with place-mats so we would eat dinner on the kitchen table!
Well, time went on, and Jonny surprised me by announcing that he was going to tear apart what he had completed (probably about half of the difficult puzzle). I reassured him that I didn't mind it being out on the table (for a little while longer) but he insisted that he and the puzzle were through.
I don't know why or how this post is going so long, but there is more to tell! I will try to make part two brief:
At Macey's on Friday night, we came upon a 1000 piece puzzle that looked more our style. I could tell Jonny had an itch to accomplish what he had set out to do with the first puzzle, so we brought it home and worked on it for about an hour. I was actually quite into this one - it had a lot more variety and I could relate to it as it was a painting of SLC. (The flower puzzle was so impersonal. Not to mention out of season.) Anyway, the next day Jonny was at the puzzle when he had even a spare minute. Didn't I realize I'd lose my husband to that puzzle just as I had to the other!? Well, I helped out a lot with this one. Partly because it was more on my level and partly because I wanted Jonny back!
Thus, I am very proud to announce that we completed our first puzzle together last night. There was a great sense of satisfaction that came with popping in the last two pieces in unison. And though it was fun and festive, I am happy to see it go and have Jonny back...until the next time a puzzle crosses our path.
8 comments:
I think I like puzzles too! We'll get one going around here soon. At least then maybe KC will keep the table clear of debris so we can see it. Good job you kids.
And, that first picture of Jonny looks exactly like the one of Julia in the previous post when she is sitting in preschool.
I love it! My family does a puzzle together every Christmas break and my Dad is surprisingly willing to spend (waste?) hours of his time putting it together (something very out of character for him). It's a blast!
Congrats of finding a fun puzzle that you enjoyed together!
I am a puzzle-holic too! There has got to be therapy out there somewhere... If I start one, the world stops until I finish it.
Oh and love the new format of the blog!
You need to have a coffee table with a puzzle all the time . . . oh wait, you have a child. Never mind. But that is fun! Good stuff.
Wow! What a cute picture of the finished puzzle kiss. That litle Julia is quite a photograper!
Great new banner! I LOVE it! One day you'll have to teach me how you do it. I can never figure my banner out, that explains why I have a new one every couple of weeks.
What nerds you guys are! That flower puzzle did look like a nightmare!!
Post a Comment