Saturday, September 1, 2007

Victory!

Big news. This morning Jonny and I played a set of tennis. There's nothing unusual about that, but wait until you hear the score . . . 4 to 6 for (drum roll) me!!!! This may not seem like a big deal to most of the world, but it is really quite something around here. Since Jonny and I started playing together (and started playing at all) three summers ago, I have never beat him in a set. Sure, I have come close several times, but I always seem to choke when we near the end. Anyway, Jonny was a good sport as I could hardly contain my excitement after the set point. (Julia slept soundly nearby, but she cheered me on during the first few games.) Well, that is the big excitement around here. Maybe sometime Julia will be content enough to let us play a match. Don't worry, I will really let you know if I win a match. I can't even imagine the victory celebration that would follow that.

P.S. As I say, Jonny and I have not been playing very long and we are quite aware that our tennis skills are nothing to write home about. We love to play for the fun of the game, but we have dreams of improving our technique. Maybe our more tennis-prone relatives could give us a few pointers on the court sometime???

P.P.S. Okay, I know Julia doesn't look to happy in the photo. But believe me, she was very proud of her mommy before she woke up and realized she was hungry.

10 comments:

Jonny said...

Yes I am commenting on my own blog. I think this is a wonderful post, definitely comment-worthy.

Oh and kudos to Melody. She beat me fair and square. She is getting quite good.

melody said...

Thanks, love.

Cami said...

You guys are crazy. I can't believe Julia just sits there and lets you play! What a sweetie! Way to go Mel!! I still remember the few times I've beaten Jake in racquetball.

Amber said...

Jonny is quite competitive I have found out recently! I'm surprised he is being such a gracious loser! Just kidding Jonny--have I ever beat you in ping pong? I can't remember, but I think I did once.....

Jonny said...

Amber, in fact you did beat me at ping pong... however i know that you probably won't ever see this comment. I really should put this comment on your blog.

emilie s. d. p. said...

Congrats to you!
And yes, I would love to have a old roomie hang out in September. Just name the time and place and I'll be there. I can't wait to see Lindsey White too...everyone's lives are getting so exciting. See you soon.

Jessica said...

Melody!
I fell upon your blog from Jessica Goudy's. We're both here in Missouri w/ husbands in school. I am so happy to have found your blog. Your daughter is beautiful. Congratulations, it's been so long...the last time I saw you was Jill Harris's bridal shower. I heard she is also a mom. Well I'm glad to have found you. Jessica (Kelly) Crapo

Woods said...

Nice one Mel!! I need to start playing tennis and obviously I am going to need your winning self to teach me. I finally have the internet at my house so I can comment on your amazing blogs. I just have to say that little Julia tops them all. She is gorgeous. I get on the blog just to see what cute faces she's making. I hope preschool is going good for you, I feel a little jealousy coming on. I miss it. Anyway lets get together ya ya ya.(sorry I just thought that sounded great!) When you aren't too busy playing tennis, teaching preschool, changing diapers, updating your blog, and all the other amazing things you do, call me! I love you tons.

Unknown said...

Congrats for the win. I remember the time mom beat me at tennis, back in those college days. I didn't take it quite the way Jonny did (ok--i threw my raquet into the net, but carefully so as not to damage it . . .). But, hey, sometimes you don't win, even if you're the guy playing against your wife. Mom beat me just the other night. Keeps us humble, eh, Jon?

Janice Graham said...

Didi, haven't I alway taught you . . . . oh well, I guess when you're married it's okay to be victorious now and then. I loved our tennis summer. What a good sport Julia was!