Friday, December 13, 2013

Aloha


We went to Oahu! And we are so so so glad we did. We left the kids with my Mom and Dad and took off, just like that! (Even a 6 hour plane ride is something to look forward to when you get to sit by your best friend and worry about taking care of only yourselves! Heavenly.) Our trip was quick, but a perfect get-away that, months later, is rejuvenating us still. 
Our Hawaiian vacation included usual things like...

Leaving chilly Salt Lake City
 Arriving in sunny Honolulu
 Basking in the beauty that is nearly everywhere you look on the island
 
 Eating delicious shrimp from a sketchy-looking truck
Ordering a "Cheeseburger in Paradise"
'
Chillin' in Waikiki
 Savoring what we agreed really was
 the "Best Pineapple Shave Ice"
 
Taking pictures of Hibiscus flowers
 because they are just so Hawaiian 
And all of those things were awesome. But what really made out trip was the not-so-usual adventures we had. Like...

Going on an incredible hike with our favorite locals - Jonny's sister Emma and her boyfriend Bear
Borrowing Bear's kayak, paddling out to the Mokulua Islands, and saying hi to sea turtles on the way
Getting scraped up so I had to wear character band-aids the whole trip (I have a cool scar though - takes me back to the beach every time I look at it.) 
Pulling over suddenly because it is just too amazing that the beach is right beside the highway (plus there was tree we just had to climb)

 Touring Bear's family's WWII "Brewseum"
Snorkeling along side a huge manta ray at Shark's Cove
Bumping into some neighbors from home at the gorgeous Laie Temple
Splurging on a 2-hour ATV tour 
through the breathtaking Kualoa Valley


  

And then we rounded it out in our last precious hours with a few more basics that you just can't leave the island without experiencing...

Plate Lunch, of course! 
Pali Lookout
Stocking up on Li Hing goods
 and kissing on the beach at sunset
Time to go back? I think so. 
But until then, Aloha, beautiful Hawaii. 

1 comment:

emilie s. d. p. said...

So fun! You guys are such a beautiful couple. I'm glad you were able to get away! I miss ya!