Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why I will Vote Ron Paul 2012

Warning: This post is not the type I usually write. I typically don't take the time to write about things that are hard to explain or put myself out there. Laziness, I guess. So this one is long, possibly boring for some, and goes against the old advice not to talk about religion or politics. But I guess I think that advice is bogus. I just really want to explain why I support the candidate I do and assure you that I am not some radical hippie. Even if no one reads this and it’s just for the record.

I remember driving past homes with Ron Paul 2008 yard signs during the last election. I asked Jonny, “Who is this Ron Paul anyway?”  Jonny answered, “Oh, just some crazy guy.”

And we continued to think that until only about two years ago when Jonny took a sudden interest in liberty and the proper role of government. This led him to conversations with an intelligent, admirable, trusted college friend who spoke of his support for Ron Paul, the so called “Champion of the Constitution,” whose internet following and financial support was completely exploding through grassroots efforts. After doing plenty of research for himself, Jonny came to understand that Congressman Paul (who is also an OB/GYN and has delivered over 4,000 babies in his medical career) is certainly not “just some crazy guy.” Consequently, I have come to learn that as well.

Talk of liberty is contagious. I started reading books, pamphlets, and speeches (President Ezra Taft Benson spoke and wrote a lot on the subject) and watching YouTube videos to learn the principles of liberty for myself. I still don’t know a whole lot, but I know enough to understand the basic problems with our big government that has strayed so far from its divinely inspired foundation. (Follow this link to read the Principles of Liberty as defined by Campaign for Liberty. You can also learn about them from reading Cleon Skousen's The 5,000 Year Leap.)  When I hear Ron Paul speak, I know I am listening to a man who stands firm in his convictions and believes that we can return to our roots, gain back the liberties that have been stolen, and rebuild our great nation.  Seriously, what he says is sincere, inspiring, and just makes so much sense.

The grassroots activists have coined Ron Paul’s campaign and movement a REVOLUTION. And that is truly what we need. Our government has gradually expanded and taken over so much of our lives. And this dependence on the government and welfare state of our country will only get worse. Most of us can recognize the serious danger in Obama’s socialist health care plan and the invasive techniques of the TSA. It’s easy to see how these things are unconstitutional and leading us in a frightening direction.

But if you understand why these examples represent an abuse of power under the principles of liberty, other things clearly make sense too. For example, I have come to understand why ending the Federal Reserve, supporting gun rights, allowing tax credits for other schooling options, ending the income tax, bringing the troops home from fighting unnecessary and unconstitutional wars, getting rid of the Department of Education (and many other big government programs), dramatically decreasing our ridiculously huge national debt, enforcing border security (especially by abolishing the welfare state), and ending the "war on drugs"* support the God-given principles of agency and liberty.


The news networks ignore and downplay Ron Paul's success and popular talk show hosts tell you outright lies about this man who I believe can actually help America change for the better. (Sorry to borrow your slogan, Obama. But you have obviously abandoned it.) Earlier this week I listened to talk radio host Mark Levin call Ron Paul a “crackpot” and a hater of America . (Want to talk to me about why Levin said that? Please do! I back Ron Paul’s foreign policy too.)  Like I said, this is what I used to think too. And then I got to know him and what he's been publicly standing for for 35 years.

I just heard him speak in person in Reno at the Liberty Political Action Conference. He’s not a radical, he’s not crazy, and he’s not unelectable. He is brave, consistent, intelligent, humble and a true patriot and statesman – unlike so many of the politicians in Washington. I know why I am voting for Ron Paul and why I am not voting for the other Republican candidates in the primary elections. His message is unifying and resonates with people of all races, religions, and socioeconomic standing because it is a message of liberty (not anarchy or irresponsibility like uniformed people may tell you).


I could go on and on but I doubt many have even read this far! So I will leave the invitation open to any of you who may be interested in learning more about my presidential pick for 2012. I hardly touched on anything here. Please, just do a little research for yourself. I really want this guy to win. (One thing you'll find common in RP supporters is that we are passionate about his message because it is true and universal.) And he has a serious chance. Despite what the Media tells you, he is a legitimate contender and has enormous support across the country. (Including the most support by the troops than any other Republican candidate.) Below is a link to a short video to get you acquainted with Congressman Ron Paul. I hope you will check it out, and find out what his message is about for yourself. Seriously, just give the guy a chance. And then call me up. I love to talk liberty.

Ron Paul: The Only One We Can Trust video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohKz9OeiI0g&feature=youtu.be


And here are the links to Pres. Benson's Proper Role of Government speech:
 
Suddenly I was aware that I was walking right next to Congressman Paul, Chuck Baldwin, Vince Vaughn, John Tate, and Senator Rand Paul (who is right behind me but is too short to see.) The security guard was nice enough to ask if he was out of the way for the picture!

*Yeah, legalizing drugs is a pretty controversial topic. Let me explain a little. Of course I personally do not endorse harmful drug use, and neither does Doctor Paul. But it goes back to the rights of individuals to make their own choices. As long as we are not harming or infringing upon the rights of others, we adults should be free to act as we choose. And yes, some people will make stupid personal choices. But can we force them no to!? (Sounds like Satan's plan in the pre-mortal existence.) Think about it. Do you want the government to tell you what and how much to eat? In some states you can already be arrested for selling raw milk. Sounds ridiculous, right? But I see the drug issue in the same light. People need to have responsibility for themselves and what they do to their bodies. It's up to society to preach and teach the danger of certain behaviors. Government can only use force. We can’t force a people to be healthy and moral. It’s government’s job to protect (but not to protect us from ourselves) and society’s job to teach. Besides, we tried prohibiting alcohol. Remember how much good came out of that?

7 comments:

linnylou said...

interesting post, mel! maybe i'll look into his ideologies

Meridith said...

Thanks for speaking up! I also back a lot of Ron Paul's policies. (I say "a lot" because I know I have some researching to do :). . .) We should chat!

Cami said...

I admire your passion and dedication to liberty! I wish everyone would put as much thought into who they will vote for!

Emily said...

I will definitely be looking more into this guy to see what he has to say. Of course, you and I probably think almost identically on the topic, so I'm just excited to hear some of the truth you speak of. Thanks for the inspiring words!

Drew said...

You guys have so many political ideas these days. I have to say I'm not quite as involved in the whole process as you (is anyone? ha), but I kind of take issue with the whole legalizing-drugs-because-of-individual-rights-and-agency idea, because then why have any laws at all? All laws inhibit the rights of people in some way, don't they? People will break laws no matter what they are (prohibition, etc.), but we still have to have them, or it starts to sound a lot like anarchy... There have to be lines drawn, even if it seems like it takes away some individual liberties, as all laws do to some extent. Anyway, just a thought.

(Also, not to be pedantic, but it's not the pre-existence--we always existed--it's the pre-earth life... Or the pre-mortal existence, either one. :) That's a pet peeve I picked up on the mission.)

Matt said...

I love everything about this guy....except his stand on foreign policy. I agree that we should stay out of other countries business, but I don't like his stand on Isreal and other issues in that area. And, I don't like the legalizing drugs thing. I was totally going to vote for him too until I started really looking into all his view points. BUT that said...I agree he is AWESOME. I love his down to earth attitude and "get out of everything government!" stand.

-cortnie

melody said...

Drew-
Thanks for the tip. I have now changed “pre-existence” to “pre-mortal existence.” And to respond to the rest of your comment:
Yes! We are really into this liberty thing. I wish everyone would learn how important it is. In fact, we were studying liberty and beginning to understand what it truly means when we came upon Ron Paul. His stance on the issues of the day aligned exactly with the truths we had been learning.
I have to disagree with you on what you said about giving up liberties. We should NOT be forced by the federal government to give up our God-given rights. Their role is to protect us and our property. (But not to protect us from ourselves.) Ron Paul asks for a return to more influential local governments, as set out in the Constitution. The problem we have really gotten into in this country is allowing the federal government to take over so much of our lives. Many issues can and should be handled on a local level. That’s where the people really have a say! And we really should have a say.
I hope you’ll look into liberty and Ron Paul a little more. We are passionate about this because we feel it is right and true. Remember, I was iffy about the drug issue and others too at first. But all I had to do was apply them to the Principles of Liberty. A candidate who votes and acts on principle is one that you can count on. And that is Ron Paul.