Wednesday, August 10, 2011

her first bike

 Jonny brought a bike home for Julia. She is in heaven. She has been dreaming about a bike for a while now. Never begging, just talking about and admiring them. I kind of figured we'd get her one for her next birthday, but Jonny knew she needed it now. (It was kind of funny to see her riding around with her neighborhood boyfriends - them on their cool bikes and her on her little red trike. This pink bike with streamers and training wheels is quite the step up!)

Anyway, we found this practically-new little beauty under the KSL Classifieds for a sweet deal. (I certainly didn't want to pay full price for this puny bike that will fit her for only a year of two. There are a ton of great bikes for sale on KSL.) Here is what Julia had to say throughout the evening about her new mode of transportation...

"I really love this new bike.  It has butterflies on it. It's been floating around in my mind today."

I told her she could ride for another five minutes after getting ready for bed. She said, "I think people will see my jammies. Hmm... I know the best jammies to choose. Soup-ney! (Snoopy) They're going to see the Soup-ney jammies and think I'm putting on butterflies!" (Apparently the butterflies are a big deal.)

Her bedtime prayer went like this: "Thank you that I covered my eyes and Daddy got the bike out of his truck..." And so on.

And after we put her to bed, she came out a few minutes later, apparently too excited to sleep. Sometimes she asks us to rest with her in her bed for a minute or two, and she usually comes up with some reason why we should. This night she said, "Can you rest with me...because...thank you so much for that bike."

You are welcome, Julia. Happy trails. 

6 comments:

Scott and Karin said...

She is so grateful, I LOVE it!

Unknown said...

she looks so big on her bike! so fun!

Drew said...

That is so cute how grateful she is. She appreciates things so much. She's already much farther ahead on the bike-riding situation than I was at her age.

Lindsey Bench said...

Whoever argues that kids put a damper on life need to read this post. Kids make life the best! I am so happy for Julia and her butterflies!

Meridith said...

To many more bikes in the future, cheers!

Cami said...

Awwww, so cute! What you're going to do is sell me that bike when Juju is done with it. And the trike. Right now. :)