Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pumpkins, anyone?

I guess we decided to grow a few pumpkins in our garden this year. And I guess they've decided to take over! Who knew pumpkins would do so well in our little patch. They've certainly outdone the cucumbers and green beans that never showed, as well as the spinach that dried up pretty quickly. I think the beets are still down there somewhere, below the pumpkin vines. And luckily the tomatoes aren't suffering. We have several wild tomato plants just like last year. (Julia loves the cherry tomatoes, or "No-nos.") Looks like we'll be eating BLTs for the next several weeks and have a large family of jack-o-lanterns on our porch this October. Not too bad for second-year gardeners, I suppose.

Oh, and please don't pay too much attention to the neglected state of the garden. Since Jonny spotted some voles, I haven't had the guts to step foot in there. A few weeks ago I somehow gathered up enough courage to grab some parsley. My heart was racing. Yes, for those who don't know, I do have a borderline-irrational fear of rodents. I mean, these ugly guys have made a path from their home underneath the tramp straight to the tomato plants. (Siblings, it looks just like a miniature "Toby Highway!") Fortunately, Jonny's not afraid of them in the least. But he did declare war when a beautiful, firm green pepper had a huge hole eaten out of it. Now it's my job to keep Julia away from the traps. Yikes.

5 comments:

Jonny said...

Borderline? Definitely irrational.

Unknown said...

I hate 'em. eeewwwwww. But, good for you on the garden.

Jessica said...

I hope they just GO AWAY! We also had a large collection of volunteer tomato plants - I ripped them out since I had 5 plants already. We will have a large collection of yellow squash, zuchini, cucumber, and spaghetti squash here in no time. If you want some please come take it. We'll also have a bunch of corn here in a bit if you don't have enough in your garden

Cami said...

Is that what is eating my tomatoes? I found a slug on one, and figured that was it.

I found about 4 pumpkins on the side of my yard the other day. One is already huge and yellow. CRAZY! It's kind of fun when you don't actually plant the garden. It's like a treasure hunt!

Savannah and Braden said...

hello! i saw your hubby this saturday! it was funny because i saw him and since i look at your blog and you came to my wedding and i went to your wedding i said hi to him and than i remembered . . he doesn't know me! i think i scared him. i was sorry you weren't there! that is so neat he ran in the half, i hope he enjoyed it! you guys are just too athletic! :)