Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Top Ten Favorite Christmas Songs

My sister Emily posted a link to best and worst lists she found online, and it got me in the mood to make my own best list. (Plus I can't agree with several of their best choices because I have never heard of the songs. Man, there really are a lot of Christmas songs out there. Listening to KOSY and FM100 always has me thinking there are only a handful!) Anyway, here are my faves, what are yours? (There are also a few early holiday pictures spattered throughout: our tree without ornaments yet, Julia smelling the tree, Jonny's set-up of the nativity and Julia pointing to the camel - for which she spits as its animal "sound,"and Jonny's sweet light job outside.)

I am confused, am I supposed to start with #10 and end with #1, being my most favorite? Oh well, I will just start with #1, the best. That seems easier.

1. "The First Noel" by the Mormom Tabernalce Choir (This one makes Jonny and me cry every time. It's a Mac Wilberg arrangement, I believe, that has an amazing climax. I love all the traditional Christmas hymns and carols that sing of our Savior, but if I have to pick a favorite, this is definitely it.)

2."Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland (I love this classic, which was originaly written for her to sing in Meet Me in St. Louis. I just did a little research and found that there are three versions of the song, the original being pretty sad and depressing. I like the changes Garland insisted on. It still has a melancholy sound, which I like in this song. Check the history out here if you are interested.)

3. "Mitt hjerte alltid vanker" by Sissel and the Orchestra at Temple Square (Jonny and I were introduced to this incredible Norwegian soprano at the MoTab/Orchestra Christmas concert a few years ago. She has the most clear, beautiful voice I have ever heard. Buy the CD of the concert if you don't have it already. You will not be disappointed.)

4. "Here Comes Santa Claus/Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Linda Eder (Perhaps Drew will correct me on the proper title of this big band Santa medley. Mom loves the last "COMIN'" Eder belts out, and so do I. Julia clapped after the big finish today in the car, so she likes this one too!)

5. "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby (Another classic, lullaby-like Christmas song. I love the corny movie too.)

6. "Go Tell it on the Mountain" by Audra McDonald (I was also introduced to this actress/singer at a MoTab Christmas concert-I haven't missed it in five or six years. She can really sing out this passionate gospel song.)

7. "Silver Bells" by Jonny and Melody while driving (We love singing this duet together in the car, but we always get the verses mixed up!)

8. "Merry Christmas, Darling" by Karen Carpenter (Yes, a sappy love/Christmas song. But I find myself singing along with all my heart whenever I hear this one.)

9. "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Olivia Olson from Love Actually (Sorry Mariah, but I like this tween's version a lot better. It is a great one for an Ipod workout soundtrack- year round! Watch the edited version of the movie; it will be one of your favorites.)

10. "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney (This was on the worst list Em found. Never! Okay, so it is cheesily synthesized, but I love it every time I hear it. Must be from the Beatles indoctrination during my childhood.)


Now here are a few honorable mentions that didn't fit in the Top Ten (and I'm sure I missed some other faves, but this list is good for now).

-"We Wish You are Merry Christmas," a two piano version (Sorry, can't say I know the pianists' names. But the whole CD provides festive and non-intrusive background music.)
-"Ding Dong Merrily on High" by Mountain Ridge Junior High SSA Choir of '98/'99 (Emily, you are totally a party-pooper for not singing this with us the last few years on Christmas Eve's Eve. You know you love it.)
-The entire Alabama Christmas CD (I'm sure if Jonny and his fam hadn't introduced me to this one, it would never be on my list. Sorry, Love! But the cheesy lyrics and tunes now have a special place in my heart. And Christmas is no longer complete without "Thistle Hair the Christmas Bear." Um, I can't believe I just wrote that. Oh well! I guess it is true.)
-A few movie soundtracks: Elf and Miracle on 34th Street
-My neice Allyson's "Deck the Halls with Toys and Dollies" and my original "We are the Kings"Ha! A little inside joke for only a few siblings.
-"Happy Hanukkah" by Adam Sandler (No, it's not a Christmas song, but it's seasonal and hilarious.)

13 comments:

Emily said...

What a great and well rounded list! I have to say that mine would probably be near identical, minus a couple I'm not as familiar with. Great job. That took quite a bit of thought I presume. No need for me to write my own.

Emily said...

Oh, and I trust your opinion so much, that I would almost say that the ones that I'm not as familiar with are on my list as well. They must be fantastic if you like them.

melody said...

Ha ha, Em. I have done the same with lists and tags you have done before me. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Sarah said...

Your list is much better than the list that the link gives - that has to be a joke.
Your #1 is also my #1.

Anonymous said...

I love that you have lights on your house!! I need to get Seth out there!!

Lili and Jeff said...

We are the kings, WE ARE THE KINGS! Ha ha. Good times. I like your list much better than others I have seen. Though you forgot some good ones! Harry Conic Jr.'s Rudolf, lots from the Grinch like Christmas of Love and Where are you Christmas! Well, happy Christmas!

Cami said...

Very good choices. WOW! You guys have lights up and everything. We are lazy about outdoor decorations.

Woods said...

Oh, your house and all of your decorations look beautiful! I love your tree and lights and Julia!!

Jill said...

perfect list...your number one is my number one too, ever since we did that in choir at LP it has been my fave. Also, Sweet light job johnny!

Drew said...

What a great list!!! And I am glad to see a lot of them appear also on my list as well. A few thoughts:

o You DO remember the BYU version of The First Noel, don't you?? Mack's version is great, but singing grad student Dwight Bigler's with 500 voices and full orchestra was one of the spiritual pinnacle moments of my entire life. I'll play it for you.

o Yes, you listed Linda's great piece correctly. I'm so glad that Julia is already developing such great musical taste! I clap after that piece too. As I said, it's standout track on my #1 Christmas album.

o I agree, the Love Actually version of AIWfCiY is probably more fun, even if only for the memories of the movie.

o Paul's Christmas offering is awesome! Especially when compared to John Lennon's. John sings about PC rubbish and anti-war sentiments, while Paul spends his time just singing about how awesome Christmas is.

Yay for Christmas music! Oh, and I thought of another song I need to add to my list: "Christmas Is All Around" by Billy Mack!

"We are the kings of Orient are the kiiiings." And don't forget Katy and Jillian's "Jolly old St. Nick!" *pose*

Drew said...

Oh, and by the way, the pianists/album you can't remember the name of is: Stuart Stirling and Niel Richardson, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, which contains two separate volumes, and which is apparently extremely difficult to find, even online. Just so you know.

Marianne said...

I am ever so pleased that our SSA song made it onto the list... since who knows when we'll have enough parts together again to sing it!

Amber said...

What, no Feliz Naviblah? Ju ju looks so cute in the sweater dress-I can't stand it! And the pot!!!!! What on earth!