Monday, August 4, 2008

landscaping update

A few weeks ago we asked advice on what to do with our large flower bed in the front yard. Thank you for all the great ideas, but I am sorry to say that we didn't use any of them! And that is only because we have put the front patch on hold and decided to use the money, time, and energy to sod the unfinished half of the back yard. (We did, however, sprinkle a wildflower mix in the front. Not too promising! But we can be patient and work on the front in the spring.) The original owner of the house had plans for building a humongous deck in the back. Thus, he put down a loads of large gravel, which is now covered with dead weeds. So for the past few weeks, Jonny has come home from work eager to get dusty and sweaty pulling stubborn weeds and raking and shoveling gravel. (I started out helping him by pulling the weeds. But the dust was just egging on my miserable allergies. Now I just work in the garden and be in charge of making sure Jonny hydrates. Sorry I am not more help, my Love!) He is really making some headway. Now he is wheelbarrowing the gravel to the side of the house (and putting more in the window wells and under the tramp) and we plan on having some topsoil delivered to put down before the sod. (We want the ground to slightly slope away from the house.) He has drawn out plans for sprinklers and is excited to get going on that. Anyway, hopefully we can post pictures of the finished project sooner than later.Keep up the good work, my amazing boy. I am ready to refresh you with an unlimited supply of slushy otter pops at a moment's notice.

7 comments:

Cami said...

Slushy otter pops huh? Way to go Jonny! Keep up the good work.

Woods said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of work. It's going to look great when your done. Keep us updated!

Unknown said...

WE (WELL JEREMY AND A COWORKER) JUST WORKED VERY HARD THIS LAST WEEKEND TO GET OUR SEED DOWN AND IT WAS A LOT OF WORK! WE HAD 2 FEET TALL WEEDS EVERYWHERE. SO I HAD SOMEONE COME IN AND MOW WITH A BIG MOWER AND THEN JER WEED WACKED IT DOWN AS CLOSE AS HE COULD TO THE GROUND SO WE COULD SEED. IT TOOK HIM PROBABLY A TOTAL OF 10 HOURS WITH HELP TO FINISH! WHAT WORK. I FELT REALLY BAD CAUSE THERE WASN'T MUCH I COULD DO. BUT IT IS DONE AND HE DID A GREAT JOB! WHAT GREAT HUBBIES WE HAVE!

Jill said...

way to go Jonny! I think it is something innate in men to want to work out in the yard...Scott would love to come help lay sod, but too bad we are moving in 4 days :(

Oh, thanks again for coming with us this weekend...we had such a blast, even though our little angel children were devils.

Amanda said...

I can't believe how bad you're back yard is! When the Davis lived there it was really nice! There used to be grass! How sad the renters let it go that much. Keep up the good work, neighbors.

James and Danielle said...

You will be landscaping pros in no time! We would love to help if you need it when we come!

Oh and good luck with the allergies. I understand the annoyance. Try washing your face with cool water as soon as you feel it coming on. It helps get the dust/pollen spores off your face before they get into your eyes and nose. Hopefully that helps!

stacia said...

looks like fun you two! lots & lots of work...but worth it! we finally laid sod last week and it is heaven!...you will love the end result!