I have worked with jalapeno peppers before. But last evening I went through one experience with the beautiful (but dangerous) vegetable that I don't want to relive. Thus, I will warn you all ...I was simply making a fresh mango salsa, one of my favorite summertime snacks. Well, everything was going just fine. I had chopped and juiced various fruits and veggies by hand. But according to the recipe, I blended the seeded jalapeno and one mango. Pretty harmless you say? I wish it was so. A few minutes after seeding the jalapeno, a few fingers on each hand began to burn. I mean, I felt like they were on fire. Crying didn't help, and a cup of ice water only offered very temporary relief. Anyway, the burning went on all evening. In bed, I tossed and turned, at a loss as to how to relieve the fire in my fingers. Somehow I fell finally asleep. This morning I awoke and felt no burning. But now, a few hours later, it has returned. I just googled my dilemma, only to find that the only thing to do is wait out the pain. Oh, and wear gloves when working with jalapenos. (Too late for that.) Anyway, I just wanted to give you all a word of caution. Hopefully, you know well enough to wear gloves, unlike me. Well, you better believe I won't make that mistake again.
5 comments:
I am sorry that you had to sacrifice your hands to make the salsa, but I am grateful! It was say yummy!
My poor love!
My goodness. I hate mysterious burning from peppers.
You might just get some Tea Tree oil from the local herb store and rub it on there. I bet it would help a lot. We use it for eevverrything around our house. Either that or maybe some Lavender oil. Ask the herb store peeps.
I never thought to use gloves with hot peppers. Sheesh. Dangerous foods.
Now that I think if it, Alton Brown has advised of wearing gloves when working with jalapenos. I will learn from that. I'm sorry about that. It must've been miserable. At least you didn't touch your eyes.
Oh man, who knew? I wouldn't try that salsa, sorry. I was expecting an eye story, but hands are pretty bad too. Sorry Mel!
Post a Comment